Connect with us

News

Bolaji Akinyemi Advises Tinubu to Avoid Confrontation with Trump

Published

on

Photo source: Google

Professor Bolaji Akinyemi, a renowned political scientist, has urged President Bola Tinubu to be cautious in dealing with the newly inaugurated 47th President of the United States, Donald Trump. Akinyemi shared this advice during an appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today program on Monday.

“If I were President Tinubu, I would try to avoid provoking him,” Akinyemi said, noting that a bully often seeks out those who are not strong enough to resist.

He referenced an African proverb, advising Tinubu that challenging someone in a position of power without the strength to back it up could lead to more harm.

“Even if Trump’s actions annoy or undermine Nigeria’s interests, there are ways to address them without direct confrontation,” Akinyemi explained.

Reflecting on Trump’s inaugural speech, Akinyemi described it as uninspiring, shocking, and depressing. Instead of promoting peace and unity, Trump’s speech seemed to outline a series of hostile policies.

Advertisement

He mentioned proposals such as taking back the Panama Canal, renaming the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America, and engaging in tariff wars, all of which, Akinyemi said, set the tone for a more aggressive and isolationist US stance under Trump’s leadership.

Akinyemi, a former Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA) and former Nigerian Minister of External Affairs, predicted that Trump would soon realize that his policies have consequences. “The next four years will be a rough ride for the world,” he warned.

On Nigeria’s relationship with the US under Trump, Akinyemi believes that the country’s priorities will not align with Nigeria’s interests.

“Nigeria will no longer be a focus for the 78-year-old president, and we shouldn’t expect anything extraordinary from his administration,” he said.


 

Advertisement

News

FAAN Reassures Nigerians Amid Ebola Concerns

Published

on


It has been reported that the Ebola virus is rising again and there have been some cases. This has caused fear in many, with talks of different viruses spreading.

Amid this concern, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) reassured the people that no trace of Ebola has been confirmed in the country, despite the outbreak in Africa.

FAAN shared that they have been on the lookout for travellers who may have symptoms, and so far there is none.


Continue Reading

News

JAMB Releases Withheld Results of 279 Students

Published

on


It has been reported that the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), has finally released the withheld results of 279 students.

It can be recalled that some results were held due to investigations of cheating. Some results proved to have traces of malpractice and were cancelled, but the ones without traces have been released and the students can finally move on.

JAMB also shared additional advice for students that might have not seen theirs: “Candidates whose results have not yet been released are advised to check their status by sending UTMERESULT to 55019 or 66019 using the same phone number used for registration to view their released results.”


Continue Reading

News

Goodluck Jonathan Reportedly Linked to 2027 Presidential Race

Published

on


It was reported that former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan has allegedly purchased a presidential candidate form for the 2027 elections.

It can be noted that Jonathan served as Nigeria’s president from 2010 to 2015.

This information was revealed by Sani Useni, a special assistant who made the claim. Many reacted to the news, with some expressing interest in seeing Jonathan return to power after staying relatively quiet politically since his administration ended.

However, Jonathan has not yet addressed the public or officially shared any presidential ambition.


Continue Reading

Trending