Connect with us

News

Ndume Calls for Action Against Corruption and Hunger in Nigeria

Published

on

Photo source: Google

Senator Ali Ndume has expressed concern about the alarming rate of corruption in Nigeria, labelling it as one of the country’s most significant challenges.

He made these remarks during a media session in Kano on Saturday, where he highlighted the urgent need for stronger measures to tackle the issue.

Ndume pointed out that, despite widespread recognition of the problem, Nigeria still lacks effective laws to address corruption, both proactively and reactively.

“Corruption is our biggest challenge. We don’t have laws that can deal with it properly,” he said.

He further noted that it is rare to find individuals, particularly in politics or government, who are not involved in corrupt practices.

Advertisement

“If someone in our system isn’t corrupt, it’s because they are fortunate enough to be God-fearing,” he remarked.

He lamented the culture of impunity, where individuals who engage in corrupt practices not only evade punishment but are often celebrated.

“In Nigeria, people steal money, walk freely, and are even revered for it.

It’s common for people to bow before someone they know is corrupt just to gain favours,” Ndume said.

He described how the sudden accumulation of wealth often goes unquestioned, with many people turning a blind eye when someone, who had no money last week, suddenly acquires multiple cars or private jets.

Advertisement

In contrast to Nigeria, Ndume explained that in developed countries, such drastic changes in lifestyle would raise suspicions.

“In other places, they would ask how you made such money, when, and from where, but here, no one seems to care,” he said.

The senator revealed that he had made several attempts to introduce a bill aimed at addressing unexplained wealth, but these efforts have been unsuccessful.

He shared that he had approached a former Head of State, requesting the signing of an Executive Bill to combat corruption, but his plea was turned down.

“There’s still no law on unexplained wealth in Nigeria, and no Executive Order to address it,” Ndume added.

Advertisement

Aside from corruption, Ndume also voiced his concerns about the widespread hunger in the country, emphasizing the underutilization of Nigeria’s vast agricultural potential.

He pointed out that only a small portion of Nigeria’s arable land is currently being cultivated.

“Despite the abundance of fertile land, we’ve only cultivated less than five per cent.

This land could feed the entire nation,” he stressed. Ndume called for a renewed focus on increasing food production to address the hunger crisis.

In his remarks, the senator underscored the urgent need for both legal reforms and a stronger agricultural sector to address the nation’s challenges.

Advertisement

He warned that unless these issues are tackled head-on, the future of the country could remain bleak.


 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Goodluck Jonathan Reportedly Linked to 2027 Presidential Race

Published

on


It was reported that former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan has allegedly purchased a presidential candidate form for the 2027 elections.

It can be noted that Jonathan served as Nigeria’s president from 2010 to 2015.

This information was revealed by Sani Useni, a special assistant who made the claim. Many reacted to the news, with some expressing interest in seeing Jonathan return to power after staying relatively quiet politically since his administration ended.

However, Jonathan has not yet addressed the public or officially shared any presidential ambition.


Continue Reading

News

“It Is Intolerable” — CAN Speaks on School Attack In Oyo State

Published

on


The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has reacted to the recent abduction incident in Oyo State.

It can be recalled that schools were attacked by armed men, with some teachers and students reportedly taken. Some people were also killed during the attack.

CAN cried out on behalf of the public, stating “It is intolerable, disgraceful and utterly unacceptable that Nigerian children can no longer sit safely in classrooms without the fear of being kidnapped by armed gangs.”

The organisation also stated that Nigerians are tired of constantly mourning and questioning when something will finally be done to stop the violence.


Continue Reading

News

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde Speaks on Oyo School Attack

Published

on


The Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, has revealed that seven teachers were abducted following a recent attack on a school in the state.

It was also shared that the number of students taken is still being investigated.

The governor further revealed that some people were killed during the attack and abduction.

He also added “With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward.”

“When you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points.”

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending