Connect with us

News

Atiku Criticizes Tinubu’s Policies And Says Rising Costs Are Hurting Nigerians

Published

on

Photo source: Google

Atiku Abubakar, the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) presidential candidate in the 2023 election, has criticized President Bola Tinubu’s economic policies, claiming they are placing significant strain on Nigerians.

Atiku’s statement was issued through his Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu.

On Sunday, Bayo Onanuga, a spokesperson for Tinubu, accused Atiku of harboring envy following his election loss.

Shaibu responded, dismissing Onanuga’s comments as baseless, emphasizing that Atiku is far from jealous of Tinubu’s policies, which he claims are only worsening life for Nigerians.

In a strong statement, Shaibu said, “Atiku jealous of Tinubu inflicting pain on Nigerians? Hell no.

Advertisement

Wickedness is an exclusive preserve of T-Pain.”

Atiku mentioned the government’s failure to implement its own economic promises.

He cited Tinubu’s July 8, 2024 announcement, where the President pledged a 150-day suspension on import duties for essential items like food.

However, more than 120 days later, Atiku pointed out that the policy has yet to be executed, even as Nigerians grapple with skyrocketing prices.

Food inflation, which now stands at over 40%, is one of the highest seen in decades, worsening living conditions and putting essential goods out of reach for many.

Advertisement

He further criticized Tinubu’s administration for what he described as a “brazen disregard” for its own policies, particularly the finance ministry’s delay in formalizing the import duty waiver through an official gazette.

This delay, Atiku argues, shows the incompetence and disorganization in Tinubu’s government.

He added that rather than focus on much-needed governance, the administration is more interested in verbally attacking political opponents like himself and Peter Obi.

He claimed that the administration is even using questionable court actions to create disarray in the opposition.

Atiku also questioned Tinubu’s preparedness for office, calling his administration a series of “policy flip-flops” that have harmed rather than helped Nigerians.

Advertisement

One of his biggest criticisms was Tinubu’s abrupt removal of the petrol subsidy, which Atiku said was done without planning for any support measures to ease the transition for Nigerians.

He noted that the President’s compressed natural gas (CNG) initiative, intended as an alternative, has so far stalled due to inadequate gas infrastructure across most states.

And this is leading to rising transportation costs that further increase food prices.

Atiku also questioned Tinubu’s economic planning in light of his mid-term expenditure framework, which projects an exchange rate of N700 to $1 by 2024 and N650 to $1 by 2025.

Atiku urged Tinubu to dismiss his economic advisers, whom he accused of unrealistic planning and deceiving Nigerians by promoting a foreign exchange reserve of $40 billion, when the net reserve is allegedly much less.

Advertisement

 

News

FAAN Reassures Nigerians Amid Ebola Concerns

Published

on


It has been reported that the Ebola virus is rising again and there have been some cases. This has caused fear in many, with talks of different viruses spreading.

Amid this concern, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) reassured the people that no trace of Ebola has been confirmed in the country, despite the outbreak in Africa.

FAAN shared that they have been on the lookout for travellers who may have symptoms, and so far there is none.


Continue Reading

News

JAMB Releases Withheld Results of 279 Students

Published

on


It has been reported that the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), has finally released the withheld results of 279 students.

It can be recalled that some results were held due to investigations of cheating. Some results proved to have traces of malpractice and were cancelled, but the ones without traces have been released and the students can finally move on.

JAMB also shared additional advice for students that might have not seen theirs: “Candidates whose results have not yet been released are advised to check their status by sending UTMERESULT to 55019 or 66019 using the same phone number used for registration to view their released results.”


Continue Reading

News

Goodluck Jonathan Reportedly Linked to 2027 Presidential Race

Published

on


It was reported that former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan has allegedly purchased a presidential candidate form for the 2027 elections.

It can be noted that Jonathan served as Nigeria’s president from 2010 to 2015.

This information was revealed by Sani Useni, a special assistant who made the claim. Many reacted to the news, with some expressing interest in seeing Jonathan return to power after staying relatively quiet politically since his administration ended.

However, Jonathan has not yet addressed the public or officially shared any presidential ambition.


Continue Reading

Trending